Our guide to the best bars & places to party during the Olympics in London in 2012... By Lani Dykes (current London Local)
So Olympic Fever has well and truly hit half of all Londoners, whilst the other half have all escaped the city! Here are some of my tips to enjoy the best London has to offer...
1. Live sites - the good folks at LOCOG have kindly set-up a bunch of big screens across the city to watch the games. My favourite is Haggerston Park where you can watch the Olympics on the big screen and indulge in that other great sport of "Hipster Spotting". Take down some ciders and Tesco treats and watch the cycling time trials and some beards on their fixies. The Victoria Park one also has some great views, but the Hyde Park screen is definitely rocking a more family vibe.
2. The obvious when you're in the UK, but still amazingly fun, is to watch it in the pub! Book Club in Shoreditch is rocking a great block party vibe, while the Water Poet has a bunch of big screens and a great beer garden.
3. Crash some of the amazing sponsor parties happening around town! The best I have found is the Puma Yard just off Brick Lane which is there homage to the Jamaican Team. Think rum cocktails, jerk chicken, AstroTurf, ping pong, photo booths and free DJ's like Groove Armada. Reserve tickets online, or do as we did and con the lovely, be-dreadlocked security guards.
4. It may not be strictly "local" but check out the National Hospitality houses- rumour has it the places to be are the Casa Brazil at Somerset House or The Holland Heineken House at Alexandra House. Check the websites before if you can as some you can pre-book a freebie spot. Otherwise- get prepared to do your finest fake Brazilian or Dutch accent and scam your way inside!!
5. British Telecom are for unknown reasons putting on a series of free gigs (maybe to make up for years of rubbish service?). Regardless of the reasons, it's a good chance to check out some great bands like Scissor Sisters, Italian composer Ludovico Einaudi, reggae star Natty or even the welsh man himself- Tom Jones for free in iconic locations like Trafalgar Square or Hyde Park. There is heaps to go, so check out The London Festival website!
By Lani Dykes
...A night out anywhere, including in London during the Olympics is better with a Local.